Their is nothing quite like good food that is also good for you! Today we start our very first Recipe of the Month post! This one is from Mercola.com.
Braised Beef Moroccan Style Recipe
- 3 tablespoons Dr. Mercola’s coconut oil
- 2 1/2 pounds chuck roast
- 2 cups chopped shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grape, pomegranate, or cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup freshly diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- Heat a large pot. Add two tablespoons coconut oil. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot, sauté until no longer pink, about five minutes. Transfer meat to bowl.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in same pot. Add shallots and sauté till brown, about eight minutes. Stir in garlic and next five ingredients.
- Add fruit juice. For acidity or deglazing, add about a tablespoon of red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar per cup of fruit juice.1 Stir occasionally.
- Add the broth, tomatoes with juice, and raisins. Stir to blend. Add beef and juices, heat to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thick and the beef is tender, about one hour and 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Why is this recipe so good for you?
- Lower in total fat
- Higher in beta-carotene
- Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
- Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- Higher in total omega-3s
- A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 versus 4.4)
- Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid, which can be transformed into CLA
We hope you enjoy this dish! Please leave pics in the comments below of your dish after you make this! We would love to know if you love it as much as we do!